Natural and Organic Food

organNatural Nutrition encompasses a holistic - mind, body, and spirit - approach to eating. It encompasses everything from the quality of the food we eat to living a holistic (whole person) lifestyle. Eating naturally implies that the foods we eat are whole and derived in a way that isn’t harmful to the environment.

Organic Foods Reduce Exposure to Toxins

People are concerned with the quality of the food they eat more than ever before. Pesticides, antibiotics, and hormone injections are frequently added to crops and cattle, creating many issues and worries in health minded citizens.

Organically grown food is your best way of reducing exposure to toxins used in conventional agricultural practices. Minimizing exposure to these toxins is of major benefit to your health. In addition to significantly lessening your exposure to these health-robbing substances, organically grown foods have been shown to contain substantially higher levels of nutrients such as protein, vitamin C and many minerals. [1]

Benefits to an Organic Diet

Eating organic means you will be ingesting fewer pesticides, and it is also the only way you can ensure your family is not eating genetically modified foods (often called genetically modified organisms or GMOs). Equally important is the simple fact that, organic farming protects farm workers who would otherwise be exposed to toxic and potentially lethal pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides. Supporting organic farming also means there are fewer chemicals ending up in our waterways, a source of drinking water for many Americans.

Benefits to Organic Beef and Dairy

Lean organic beef provides a very good source of protein and vitamin B12 and a good source of selenium, zinc, iron, phosphorus and B vitamins without the concern for pesticide, hormone and antibiotic residues that may be found in non-organic varieties. In addition to the benefits of grass fed beef, organic dairy is preferred for its lack of hormones and antibiotics.[2]

The Organic Seal

Since the processes that control the growth, harvesting, and manufacturing processes determine organic food; it is impossible to determine whether food is organic simply by looking at it. The only way to determine is food is organic is by looking for the USDA Organic Seal. For food to pass inspection and bear the Organic Seal they must be fall into a number of different categories. These are:

  • 100% Organic- this ensures that the food was produced entirely of 100% organic ingredients.
  • For food to be labeled “Organic” is must be made with at least 95% organic ingredients.
  • Made with Organic Ingredients- this ensures that the food was made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients. It also certifies that the remaining 30% of the ingredients contained no genetically modified organisms.
  • If a food product contains less than 70% organic ingredients it may list the organically grown ingredients on the side panel. However, the product may not state any claims of being organic on the front of the package.

Find Natural & Organic Products at the Soar-To-Nature "Online Store"


[1] http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=17#Health
[2] http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=141#healthbenefits